Many times starting a self-employed business is your first time filing for a business license, doing bookkeeping, and filing business taxes. It can seem like a daunting undertaking, and it is if you've never done it before. Setting up a business is no more complicated than renewing a motor vehicle registration if you know what office to visit, etc.
In the grand scheme of things, these are the minor hoops you need to get through that will set your business up for (legit) success. Let me save you hours of internet research, guess work, and worry with this course generated from my own experience and research spurred by the questions of dozens of clients over the years.
In this course we'll cover basic business knowledge for:
- selecting a legal entity for your business (aka: sole-proprietor, LLC, etc.)
- how to get a business license, and who issues them
- what records you need to keep, and easy/affordable strategies to do so
- an introduction to intellectual property rights (aka: copyright, trademark, etc.)
- which professionals to turn to in order to get support on any of these issues
- all content tailored to freelancers or self-employed businesses operating in the City of Seattle
With a little bit of guidance, your business will be legit in no time!
Please note: this course contains general recommendations. I am not a lawyer nor accountant and cannot give legal, tax or financial advice. I am not liable for any legal results, losses or tax liabilities due to actions taken (or not taken) based on these recommendations. Always consult a local tax professional when planning your taxes. Always consult a lawyer about legal needs.
Owner and operator of Maggie Karshner, self-employment coach. As a coach she blends her past experience in business, marketing, fundraising, event planning, volunteer management, systems development, and implementation of SaaS business solutions. Maggie has been thrilled to provide one-on-one coaching for many years. In this online school you get the benefit of her most common lessons in this easy and accessible format. One on one help is also always available to you. Feel free to reach out!